Library resources Inquiry 100: Caveman to Chemist (Mork)
- Scholarly/Academic Journals
- Popular Magazines
- Trade/Professional Journals
Articles - Primary vs. Secondary - Article characteristics Vanderbilt video on scholarly vs popular articles
NOTE: Humanities topics and Science topics may differ when defining primary and secondary articles.
- Primary articles - contribute to building new knowledge in a field, usually found in scholarly journals.
Clues: Look for methodology, experiment
- Secondary articles - report, inform or explain an idea usually found in encyclopedia's, magazines and newspapers.
Clues: Opinion, review of topic, reports, etc...
Articles: Evaluate content of your potential sources
Building Search vocabulary: Search terms template concept map
Look for words that describe ideas, names of people mentioned in articles. Try words that may have been used in history. In the past chemistry topics may be under alchemy or magic.
Reference resources: for background information, building vocabulary, finding people...
- Credo reference online
- Dictionary of scientific biography Ref Q141.D5
- Dictionary of world biography Ref CT104.D53
Subject specific references may also have historical biographies
- Chemical elements Ref QD466.N49 1999
- Encyclopedia of the elements Ref QD466.E54 2004
The history and use of our earth's chemical elements Ref QD466.K744 2006
NOTE: Find out when and where your person and/or idea originated. Look for sources that give you information on culture, beliefs and activities of the people of that time and place.
- Daily life through history
- Dictionary of ideas See also: New Dictionary of Ideas Ref CB5.N493
- Encyclopedia of religion Ref BL31.E53
- Science and its times Ref Q175.46 .S35
- MnPALS Plus or MnPALS Classic - Concordia's library catalog
- WorldCat - Search local libraries and libraries from around the world
- Google Book - You can sometimes find full-text for out of copyright books here
Journal, magazine, newspaper article content is found using an index or database
- Academic Search Premier - add America History and Life & Historical Abstracts
- Project MUSE
- Poole's Index to Periodical Literature Index 1803-1907 - print index
- Readers Guide to Periodical Literature Index 1890-current - print index
- ProQuest Newspapers
- New York Times Historical 1851-2004
RefWorks Create an account and folder for class, saves items to your RefWorks folder.
Maintained by Theresa Borchert. Last update 09-08-10
Send comments or corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org
Carl B. Ylvisaker Library, Concordia College, Moorhead,Minnesota