Class of '96
Senior Guard 6-2
Lac qui Parle , Appleton High School
Parents:David & Joann Sorenson
Coach: Roger Johnson
Jason Sorenson came to Concordia from Fergus Falls Community College as a three-point shooter and turned himself into one of the MIACs most complete players. He finished the 1995-96 season 16th in MIAC scoring with 14.9 per game. He broke the MIAC record for 3-pointers with 78 and was third in MIAC in 3-point percentage at 47.9. His 94 treys overall this year broke Bryan Flam's school record of 88 set in 1988. . His career 3-point percentage of 43.5 (108-248) broke Mike Schwarz' career record of 39.1% (113-289) set from 1986-1988.
Jason Sorenson Career Stats
GM PPG RPG Pts Rbs FGM FGA FG% FTM FTA FT% 3M 3A 3% Ast St Bl 1994-95 17 3.2 1.3 54 22 18 40 45.0 4 5 80.0 14 32 44.0 10 2 2 1995-96 27 13.7 2.4 371 66 127 288 44.1 23 28 82.1 94 216 43.5 44 33 7 1994-95 44 9.6 2.0 425 88 145 328 44.2 27 33 81.8 108 248 43.5 54 35 9
He was part of a senior class that left a legacy of success:
After helping the 1994-95 Cobbers post an 18-7 record and reach the MIAC playoffs for the first time since 1987, they saw six of their teammates graduate and listened to predictions that 1995-96 would be a down year. But instead of falling back, this group of talented student athletes helped forge a new team that, at 21-6, became the school's first NCAA men's basketball tournamnt team. They also set a school record for wins in a season.
- No Running Cobber senior class can claim more wins in their final two seasons. The 1982-83 Cobber seniors had 38 wins in their final two seasons. This year's seniors have 39 wins over their last two seasons and a 39-13 record
- The 1995-96 Cobbers recorded consecutive top-2 finishes in the MIAC for only the second time in school history. (The 1981-82 and 82-83 Cobbers won consecutive MIAC titles.) Their MIAC Playoff Championship is the 4th MIAC men's basketball championship in School history. The earlier titles came in 1931, 1982 and 1983.
- As a result of their hard work, intelligence and unselfishness, the Cobbers led the MIAC for the second consecutive year in field goal percentage and were number 2 in league rebounding and scoring stats, despite being one of the league's smallest teams.
- These seniors have played a big role in rewriting Cobber team records, including most points per game (86.4 in '94-95) and best team single season field goal percentage (51.2 in 1994-95). The 1995-96 team passed the school record of 144 made 3-pointers set last year. They made 174.
- Most importantly, this group of seniors has helped build an expectation of excellence, an ethic of unselfishness, and a dedication to hard work that is now an integral part of the Running Cobber program. Their coaches and teammates will be ever grateful.
Men's Basketball Return to 1995-95 Wrap-Up
This page is maintained by the Concordia Sports Information Office email@example.com
Cobber Sports Home Page Concordia Home Page