Tools for Reflection
Reflection is an opportunity for participants to examine their experiences and sort through feelings, observations, and ideas to help students be intentional about their learning. An effective reflection activity should:
- Have an outcome in mind (i.e. a specific course goal, a specific concept, etc.).
- Be appropriate for the group (age, culture, etc.).
- Occur before, during, and as soon after the service experience as possible.
- Be directly linked to the project or experience.
- Be varied for different learning styles, etc.
- Be facilitated for maximum participation, creativity, and learning.
- Dispel stereotypes, address negative experiences, increase appreciation for community needs, increase commitment to service.
There are many creative ways to facilitate a quality reflection activity.