Student organizations often travel off-campus as a way to experience new cultures, locations, and events together as a group. Preparing to travel off-campus requires several steps for the student leaders and advisers should be prepared to help.
Off-Campus Travel Adviser Responsibilities
1. Hold student leaders accountable for fulfilling their responsibilities as listed on Off-Campus Student Leader Travel Responsibilities.
2. Work with the student leaders to make plans for the trip and insure that all college policies are followed.
3. Work with the student leaders to plan and implement an opportunity for participants to process their experience to be sure participants can identify what they have learned from the trip.
4. Hold trip participants accountable for appropriate behavior as described in college policies and the conduct section of the general release form.
- If a student engages in behavior that is disruptive or disreputable, you should warn him/her once and you should document the warning.
- If college policy is violated or the student continues the behavior which he/she has been warned about, you should confront the student and file an Incident Report with the Student Affairs Office upon return to campus.
- In serious or reoccurring situations, you have the right to return a student to campus at their expense. In such case, you must call the campus and speak to a Student Affairs Dean before sending the student back. (Call Campus Security, 299-3123, and ask to have someone call you; leave a phone number where you can be reached). The student has the right to request an immediate review of the proposed action by the Student Affairs Dean.
5. If an emergency should occur on the trip, administer standard emergency procedures (i.e.; police, hospitalization, etc.) and immediately call campus and speak to a Student Affairs Dean. (Call Campus Security, 299-3123, and ask to have someone call you; leave a phone number where you can be reached. Student Affairs will advise you.
6. Represent the college and its policies throughout the trip.