As student leaders work to put together a budget for their organization, an adviser is an important resource in the process. Advisers can provide historical advice on what the organization spent money on in the past and help the student leaders calculate costs of expected organization trips, events and activities. In addition, advisers can assist student organization leaders in adhering to the college’s guidelines for spending student activity fee allocated monies.
Types of Accounts
Each student organization has two accounts with the college:
• SAF (Student Activity Fee) account – money that is allocated by the Student Involvement Council from the Student Activity Fee is deposited to this account. Student organizations should be aware of the guidelines for requesting this money and spending it. Student organizations need to submit a budget request to the Student Involvement Council by the designated due dates before each allocation. There are approximately five rounds of allocations throughout the year.
• Non-SAF account – money that is fundraised by an organization or that is collected in the form of dues from organization members is deposited to this account. Funds in the non-SAF account are not required to follow the same spending guidelines as SAF funds are.
• The Student Involvement Council (a division of Student Government Association) provides student orgs the opportunity to request money from the Student Activity Fee.
• Fundraising is a popular way to raise money for the student organization itself or the organization’s favorite cause. Student organizations need to submit a fundraising permit two weeks in advance of their fundraiser.
• Several grant opportunities are also available for student organizations. Advisers can help student organization leaders determine if they qualify for these grants.
Student Business Office
• The Student Business Office Treasurer handles all accounting procedures for student organizations. Students can request direct payment vouchers or reimbursements, check account balances, and consult the treasurer for help with requesting Student Activity Fee money.