24 Ways To Succeed
24 Ways to Succeed at Concordia College
Looking for ways to be successful at Concordia? You've come to the right place! While there are many ways to do well at Concordia, here are some helpful tidbits that will help you be successful. Concordia has many resources that can help you reach your goals.
1. Meet with a peer mentor at the Office of Student Success and meet with your advisor. Our peer mentors provide personal support. We'll work with you to help you achieve your goals. Your academic advisor can assist you in many areas including academics, career, and involvement.
2. If you have a full course load, try not to work more than 6-12 hours a week. Most students begin a downhill slide in the quality of learning beyond 12 hours.
3. Attending class is important! Actively participate in class and meet with your professors individually if you need to. Most professors are very willing to meet with, and they'll help you learn more.
4. Improve your writing. If you need help, contact the Academic Enhancement and Writing Center. They provide writing tutors for all subjects.
5. Visit the Career Center. Even if you think that you have chosen a major, the counselors can offer you valuable information about careers and about yourself.
6. Take your health seriously. Sleep, diet, and exercise, as well as choices about drugs, alcohol, and sex all contribute to how you feel. Get into healthy habits, and you'll feel better, happier, and be more successful. Visit the Health Center and Counseling Center for any concerns with your physical or mental health.
7. Make a master weekly schedule showing all classes and responsibilities, as well as time slots set aside for studying.
8. Every evening, make a To-Do list of what you plan to accomplish the next day. Know what you need to do will help you get it done. Assigning priorities to your tasks will help you do the important things first.
9. Review your notes every evening from the day's classes. Reviewing daily will help you refresh and retain the information you have learned.
10. Avoid procrastination; divide long-term studying and large projects into manageable chunks.
11. Use rhymes, jingles, or songs - or other mnemonics - to memorize lists of unrelated words or terms.
12. Avoid cramming, by dividing study sessions into small pieces, you will be more focused and retain more information.
13. Before answering an essay question on an exam, jot down the key points you want to make and information you want to include.
14. Class participation is important. Professors often test on what is discussed in class as well as grade in part on attendance and participation. Don't abuse you're new freedom - being in class is YOUR responsibility.
15. Learn what helpful resources Concordia College offers and where they are located. Check with us in the Office of Student Success. We can direct you to the right place that can help.
16. Understand the reasons you are in college. You will stay motivated and have a more productive college experience if you identify specific goals you wish to accomplish.
17. Study with someone from class. Studying with another student will help you study more often, and you will learn from each other.
18. Assess and improve your study habits. An integral part of your success in college involves assessing and improving your own learning styles, taking better notes, reading more efficiently, and doing better on tests.
19. Develop critical thinking skills. Always challenge yourself. Ask why! Look for deeper understanding rather than just taking information for face-value.
20.Make some close friends. College represents a great opportunity to form new and lasting ties with a great diversity of individuals.
21. Remember you are not alone. Many other students are facing the same uncertainties as you are. Find strength in numbers and do not be afraid to seek out help.
22.Try to have realistic expectations. At first you may not make the grades you made in high school. Improvement comes with new skills and practice. Need help? Contact the Academic Enhancement and Writing Center.
23.Get involved! Joining a campus organization or activity is a great way to meet new friends. There is a complete list of campus organizations.
We're here to help you succeed!