What role can faculty members play in improving student retention? How can a balance between academic rigor and student support be maintained? These are not trivial questions, especially when research indicates that students remain in settings that:
- engage them in meaningful learning activities and
- support their academic and social needs.
Here are several important resources on student retention and will provide practical applications for the classroom:
- Taking Student Retention Seriously by Vincent Tinto
- ACT Policy Report: The Role of Academic and Non-Academic Factors in Improving College Retention
- National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) Annual Reports
- NSSE Occasional Paper #6 What Faculty Members Can Do
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Student Success and Retention.