Section 2: Employer Review and Verification
Section 2 of the I-9 Form is required to be completed within 3 business days of the date employment begins. Business days include all days the company is operating. Since many entities are open seven days a week, weekends will count as business days for I9 purposes.
When the employee presents original documents to establish employment eligibility and identity, it is the employee's choice which documents they present. Acceptable documents are listed on the back of the I-9 form. Employees must present documents that indicate their identity and their work eligibility.
- List A contains a list of acceptable document that verify both identity and work eligibility.
- List B contains a list of acceptable documents that verify identity.
- List C contains a list of acceptable document that verify work eligibility.
An employee must present either acceptable document(s) form List A or acceptable documents from both List B and List C.
The employer reviews the documents, completes Section 2 and signs and date the I-9 Form. If the employee cannot produce either the original documents or a receipt of the application for the document (such as for a duplicate Social Security Card) the individual must be terminated. If a document receipt is produced, the employee has 90 days to produce the original. At this time, Section 3 would need to be completed.
1. The employee chooses the document to present to the employer.
2. For List A or Lists B and C, you review the documents and record the following information for each one:
- document title
- issuing authority
- document number
- expiration date (if any
3. Under Certification, you record:
- the employee's start date
- your signature
- your name, title, organization name and address
- the date
Document Receipt Example
Document Received Example (changing from receipt of document)