Summer Staff PositionsAre you planning on being in the Fargo-Moorhead area over the summer? Take a look at these excellent summer opportunities! Below you can read about the timeline, positions, and application process.
Have questions? Contact Mikal Kenfield, Associate Director of Residence Life, at (218) 299-3899 or email@example.com.
- 10 pm, March 4 - applications due
- March 6 - applicants will be contacted with more information (not all applicants will receive interviews)
- March 11 - March 15 - interviews conducted by Residence Life and Summer Programs
- March 20 - notification letters sent
Residence Life Summer Intern (1 position)
- The intern works 40 hours a week, serving as the Bogstad Summer DA, Staff Training Committee Chair, as well as assisting with Summer Programs, Orientation and other an special projects as assigned.
- Although not a requirement, this position is a great opportunity for an individual who is interested in learning more about the field of Student Affairs.
- The intern is paid a salary of approximately $4000 and receives a single or reduced occupancy apartment at no cost.
- The Intern must be a current Residence Life staff member who is returning to staff in the fall.
- Check out the complete position description.
Coordinators – Staff Training Committee (3 positions)
- The Staff Training Committee (chaired by the Summer Intern) consists of three coordinators. These include the: Administrative Coordinator, Educational Events Coordinator, and Social Events Coordinator.
- Coordinators are highly encouraged to also apply for a Summer RA or Summer Programs Student Assistant position.
- The coordinator position itself is unpaid, but it is a great opportunity to gain more leadership experience in the Residence Life department. Additionally, Coordinators are given preference in hiring for the Bogstad RA positions.
- Coordinators must be current Residence Life staff members who are returning to staff in the fall.
- Check out the complete position description.
Summer Bogstad RAs (6 positions)
- Summer RAs in the Bogstad Apartments provide a welcoming environment for the summer apartment residents.
- Being a summer RA is very different than being an RA during the academic year – summer RAs are able to work and/or attend summer school up to 40 hours a week.
- Summer RAs receive a single or reduced occupancy apartment at no cost as their compensation.
- Preference is given to current Residence Life staff who are returning in the fall.
- Read the full position description.
Summer Programs Student Assistants
- Summer Programs Student Assistants (SAs) are supervised by Summer Programs and assist with conference set-up, participant registration, desk hours for customer service, pre- and post- conference room checks and coordinate keys for conference participants.
- This position guarantees at least 32 hours per week and often offers 40 hours per week with an hourly wage of at least $7.50 (final wage to be determined later this spring).
- At least two of the SAs can also be hired at Bogstad Summer RAs. These students who are both SAs and RAs will also receive a single or reduced occupancy apartment through their RA position.
- Any student can apply for these positions (need not be a member of Residence Life staff).
- Check out the full position description.
The Application Process
When you submit your online application, you will be prompted to upload:
- a resume (in either a word or pdf file)
- a separate document that lists three professional references (in either a word or pdf file)
Please have these files ready before you begin the application.
In the application, you will be able to indicate which positions you are interested in. For example, you might be interested only in the Intern position - or you might be interested in applying for all four positions. Just check the corresponding boxes on the application to choose the positions for which you'd like to be considered.
On the online application, there are essay questions for the Intern, Coordinator and Summer Programs Student Assistant positions. In case you would like to prepare these questions in advance in a word document and then simply copy and paste them into the application, the essay questions are listed below. Each question has a 300 word limit.
When you are ready, use this link to complete the online application.Intern Essay Questions
- What is motivating you to apply for the intern position?
- What ideas do you have for Fall Training?
- What experiences have you had that qualify you for the intern position?
- How do you see this position fitting in with your career goals?
Coordinator Essay Questions
- Please explain why you ranked your interest in the coordinator position in that particular order.
- What ideas do you have for Fall Training? (If you also applied for the Intern position and already answered this question, you may leave this blank).
- What experiences have you had that would assist you in the coordinator roles?
Summer Programs Student Assistant Essay Questions
- What experiences have you had providing customer service?
- What is motivating you to apply for the Summer Programs Student Assistant position?
- What was the most effective team you have been a part of and why was it effective?