Resident Assistants have the opportunity to develop a wide array of skills - in part, because the job allows you to play a variety of roles. RAs are community builders, limit setters, role models, listeners, supportive peers, problem solvers - and much more!
To get a better idea of the job, feel free to read the full position description. You are also encouraged to talk to your own RA about what it's like to be a member of the Residence Life Staff.
There are also a wide array of benefits for being a member of the Residence Life team! Some of these include:
- a stipend of approximately $4300 for first year staff and a single-occupancy double room at the regular rate in most halls where available (final stipend levels will not be available until the budget is approved by the Board of Regents in the spring)
- staff are generally given first preference in hiring decisions for desk worker positions
- periodic evaluation of performance with constructive suggestions
- references for future positions based on successful performance
- knowledge, skills, training and support to develop your potential and help you successfully fulfill your responsibilities - these include: communication, leadership, teamwork, organization, problem solving, creativity, conflict management, assertiveness, adaptability, decision-making
- read more about these benefits in the words of current and past staff members