Fire Emergency Procedures
Familiarize yourself with the locations of fire extinguishers and all exits in your
If you see or smell smoke or fire, do the following:
1. Call 911 and activate the building’s fire alarms at a red pull station.
2. Always assume that an emergency exists if fire alarms are sounded.
3. Get out of the building. All rooms must be evacuated. Walk quickly to the nearest
exit. Do not use elevators.
4. Test doors to see if they are hot. If they are hot, the fire may be blocking your
exit. Seal the crack under the door with clothing or towels, preferably wet.
5. Open a door or window in the room and hang clothing, a sheet or a towel
outside to attract the attention of emergency rescue personnel.
6. If possible, wait for a rescuer to come get you.
7. Shout at regular intervals to alert emergency crews of your location.
8. If smoke is present — stay close to the floor and hold your breath if possible.
9. Once outside, stay at least 500 feet from the building and out of the way of