Frequently Asked Questions
How do I decide which of Concordia’s giving options is best for me?
Why should I give to Concordia? With the college receiving so many gifts, does mine make a difference?
Is my gift tax-deductible? Which gift options offer the best tax advantage for donors?
Can I designate where my gift will go?
What is The Concordia Annual Fund and where do my gifts go?
What are the various C-400 donor levels and benefits at those levels?
When does the fund year begin and end? Why should I donate every year?
How can I pay for my donation?
How can I establish a named scholarship or award?
Why is alumni participation important?
What is the minimum gift needed to establish an endowed fund? What are the specific areas of need for endowments?
1. How do I decide which of Concordia’s giving options is best for me?
There are many ways to make a gift to Concordia, including online, by phone or mail, electronic funds transfers at regular intervals directly from your checking or savings account, matching gifts from your employer or planned giving, which involves stock, property and other giving options. Our staff can help you determine what option will work best for you and your budget.
2. Why should I give to Concordia? With the college receiving so many gifts, does mine make a difference?
Your gifts make a Concordia education possible. Tuition covers only 80 percent of the costs associated with attending Concordia and even then, many of our students depend on financial aid, including scholarships made possible by people like you. The generous gifts of alumni, parents and friends are appreciated by the college and our students.
3. Is my gift tax-deductible? Which gift options offer the best tax advantage for donors?
Yes, your gift is tax deductible. To find out the best tax advantages for you, contact one of our staff who would be happy to discuss your options.
4. Can I designate where my gift will go?
Yes, in some cases you may designate where your money goes. However, we strongly encourage unrestricted gifts that can make the biggest impact by combining with other gifts to support a variety of needs and programs. For more information, please contact one of the Giving staff.
5. What is The Concordia Annual Fund and where do my gifts go?
Gifts made to Concordia through The Concordia Annual Fund go to the greatest needs of the college in the year the gift is made. While the former C-400 Fund support specific projects, the newly updated Concordia Annual Fund supports annual improvements to the college as a whole. It makes attending college more affordable for every student and supports our outstanding academic programs.
6. What are the various C-400 donor levels and benefits at those levels?
C-400 Society recognizes and honors those who make annual leadership gifts of $1,000 or more to Concordia during the fiscal year. As a C-400 Society donor, you’ll receive the C-400 Annual Fund. Gifts of $1,000 or more are also recognized with a framed certificate, and each year, an updated certificate in recognition and appreciation of your annual gift.
We recognized individuals contributing at the C-400 Society level as follows:
C-400 Legacy $5,000 or more
C-400 Sustaining $2,500 to $4,999
C-400 Heritage $1,000 to $2,499
7. When does the fund year begin and end? Why should I donate every year?
Concordia’s gift schedule follows the fiscal year, May 1 to April 30. Your donations are always important and appreciated. Annual gifts help us to continue to support the great academic programs, top-notch faculty and quality facilities that our students depend on.
8. How can I pay for my donation?
There are several ways you can make a gift:
• Online at our secure giving site
• Electronic funds transfer from your checking or savings account
• Call 1.800.699.9896 or 218.299.3454
• Mail to Concordia College, Advancement Office, 901 8th St S, Moorhead, MN 56562.
• Match your gift through Thrivent Financial if you are a policy holder.
• Have your employer match your gift.
• Give stock or property to the college by contacting our staff.
9. How can I establish a named scholarship or award?
Named scholarships, also known as restricted scholarships, are funded annually. This amount is then awarded to a selected student on an annual basis. To establish a restricted named scholarship, there is a minimum commitment of $5,000 per year.
The Legacy Scholarship recognizes academic achievement of incoming freshmen. You can fund a C-400 Legacy Scholarship by making annual C-400 contributions of $5,000 or more.
10. Why is alumni participation important?
Giving back to Concordia is one way of saying thank you for your own education, while making it possible for future students to attend. Our alumni givers are of all ages and income levels, doing what they can to sustain and support Concordia’s mission – and they’ve been “giving back” for more than a century. In addition, national college ranking systems, such as U.S. News & World Report, use alumni giving as a measure of alumni satisfaction with the education they received.
11. What is the minimum gift needed to establish an endowed fund? What are the specific areas of need for endowments?
Your endowed scholarship gifts are invested by Concordia and the spendable investment income is awarded to a selected student. The principal remains intact, providing ongoing scholarship funds. To establish an endowed scholarship, a minimum of $30,000 is required. You may choose to fund the entire endowment at once or make payments over a period of three to five years. We’ll work with you to create an agreement defining the terms of the scholarship.