How Do I...?
How Do I Find Books Not Available at Concordia?
When attempting to find library books, there are two places to look:
- MnPALS, Concordia's online library catalog.
- WorldCat, an online catalog of thousands of libraries throughout the world.
The basic strategy is to start by searching Concordia's catalog and then begin searching in the larger catalogs until you find what you need.
Search MnPALS, Concordia's online library catalog
Occasionally you won't be able to find a book in Concordia's online catalog. In this case, you can request the book either through the book request form (via the library homepage) or by searching WorldCat, a shared catalog of thousands of libraries across the world.
If you are searching WorldCat, locate the book you need and click on the Find It button:
Click to expand "More Options," then click on the "Request from Interlibrary Loan" link in the popup window:
A request form will open. Your User ID/Barcode is the 14-digit Library # on your Concordia ID, and your password is your last name. Review the rest of the information, and enter a date in the "Not Needed After" field. This is the last possible date the item could be useful to you. Check the copyright acknowledgement box and click Go.
- Most books requested through WorldCat will be available at the Library's Circulation Desk within about two weeks after placing the request.
- You will receive either an e-mail or paper notice when your items are available for pick-up.
- You cannot use this service to obtain course textbooks.
- This service is free.
If you need any help, ask a librarian.