English Honors Program
Department honors in English may be earned by students in any of the four concentrations as long as they meet the following criteria:
Have an English G.P.A. of 3.7 or higher *
Complete Eng 488: Literature Capstone or Eng 489: Writing Capstone
(to be taken during the senior year)
Engage in publication, presentation, or leadership appropriate to a student's English major track.
Students in the English-Literature concentration must take the Literature Capstone; students in the English-Writing concentration, the Writing Capstone. Students in the English-Journalism concentration or English-Education students may take either capstone class.
The major capstones must be taken on campus in the spring semester of your senior year. If you plan to graduate a semester early or to study abroad in your last semester, make plans (with your advisor and department chair) to take the capstone early because the course objectives cannot be achieved through Independent Study or off-campus study.
There are multiple ways to accomplish the publication, presentation, or leadership requirement. Here are some examples:
- public presentation of a capstone project or similar paper
- publication of a literary essay
- publication of creative work in an appropriate journal
- public reading of creative work
- leadership in editing of AfterWork or New Voices
A committee of English Department faculty will help facilitate opportunities and determine what events satisfy the requirement.
Students should apply for honors status by the middle of January of their senior year. In order to be considered for honors status, a student must
- have an English GPA of 3.7 or higher* by the end of the fall semester
- be enrolled in the appropriate capstone course
- indicate how he or she hopes to satisfy the publication, presentation, or leadership requirement.
Check with the department chair or the English Department office manager if you have questions. Application forms may be picked up in the English Department Office, Academy 312.
* Final eligibility for Honors status will be based on your graduation grades.